Blogs are one of the cornerstones of social marketing. They were invented to allow people who had stuff to say to say it without the need to develop a complicated system through which to say it. However, if you post regularly to your blog, they also perform two other very valuable services.
1. If your sales process requires you to explain and educate your customers, then a blog is a great platform from which you can do that. By writing multiple posts you can thoroughly cover your subject area. For instance when we consult with a customer, we often have to explain
- the potential of internet marketing,
- what a customer can use it for and
- a lot of internet marketing techniques
Doing this via blog posts can be both beneficial to support any SEO work you are doing and also will build your authority with your readers.
2. The more regularly you post to your blog, the more regularly Google will swing by and check to see if you have any new material and add it to their index. (This is actually true of any site, it’s just that people tend to post more regularly on their blog as it does not need to be in a structured area of the site.)
So let’s imagine you were posting every day. (For instance you could post a daily tip;) It will seem like Google is waiting for you to push that publish button, for no sooner do you save, but Google will index your new post. I have had posts get indexed within 2 minutes of me publishing them. This is great if you want to test something in the market and see what response you get from SEO.
One of the more useful bi-products of posting regular unique content to your blog.